Bolognese sauce with spaghetti
Don't be scared by the name and think that this calls for some lengthy method of preparation.
This recipe is adapted from Edmonds cook book. The cook book was given to me by a friend and she told me that in New Zealand, every household has a copy of this book. And that all the recipes come out well. And it is true. I have tried a few recipes from the book and all have come out good.
1. Oil - 2 tbsp (olive oil or vegetable oil)
2. Onion - 1 large (finely chopped)
3. Tomato paste - 1/4 cup (21 gm)
4. Canned tomatoes in juice - 1 can (400 gm)
5. Minced beef - 500 gm
6. Garlic - 1 pod
7. Turmeric powder - a pinch
8. Oregano - 1 tsp
9. Basil - 1 tsp
10. Water - 4 cups
11. Spaghetti - 200 gm
12. Salt - to taste
13. pepper - to taste
14. Grated Parmesan cheese - as needed
Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet and set aside.
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the minced garlic and saute. Add the chopped onions and cook until golden, stirring constantly. Stir in meat and quickly brown. Add the tomato paste. Empty the can of tomatoes into a blender and blend well. Add this to the pan. Stir in basil, oregano and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes or until mixture is a thick sauce consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with pasta and grated Parmesan cheese.
* The original recipe doesn't call for garlic and turmeric powder. I added it because the cook in me couldn't help it.
* I used KDD spicy tomato sauce.